[WikiEN-l] Little edits or big edits in the mainspace?

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 00:35:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM, MuZemike <muzemike at gmail.com> wrote:

> As the title indicates, when working on articles, do you prefer making a
> bunch of small edits or one or a couple of big edits?

Well, I'm not sure my answer will be interesting to anyone other than
your good self but...

When I'm starting a *new* article (which I don't do much) I tend to
save every 10, 15 or no later than 20 minutes as I go along. It's fear
of losing work. I know an answer to that is to edit in some other
application but I've never really felt motivated to explore other
working methods.

When *copy editing* an existing article I tend to do one edit per
change (but it could be three or four changes if one short paragraph
needs a lot of help). Various reasons; partly because I don't trust
myself to remember necessary edits at the start of a section if I
carry on and find issues at the end of a section; I like -
increasingly - to write long edit summaries (I find writing something
pithy about inserting a comma helps my morale, keeps me in good
humour).

I confess I do still "keep score" with my edit count, though more for
a little personal buzz I get when I get past each thousand mark than
to compare myself to others (although I still take the occasional look
at the league table to see if I've re-appeared on it: answer "no" ;o)