[WikiEN-l] What proportion of articles are stubs?

MuZemike muzemike at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:59:23 UTC 2010

Short answer: I think we have made a step in the right direction by
getting five decently-expanded articles as a result of ten stubs.
However, what about the ones that cannot be expanded? That leads to my
"long answer" below:

It depends on the expandability of the remaining stubs. Are they able to
be expanded via reliable sources to a decently-sized encyclopedia
article? One thing I have observed about the creation of stubs (besides
from newcomers, which normally they are "hit or miss" on expandability
due to their relative lack of experience with WP or with wikis in
general), this is assumption or even prediction that 'they can possibly
be expanded' or 'they might be some sources out there'.

I would generally find such a premise behind stub-creation as
unsatisfactory content creation/expansion; however, I come from a belief
that Wikipedia's focus should be on the amount of raw, sourced content
as opposed to the raw number of articles that can be created. To put in
a more concrete way, any given Wikipedia article is not precisely '1
unit of knowledge' (Google Knol can sue me later for ripping off their
terminology); that is, our article on "Abraham Lincoln" contains much
more verifiable information than, say, "Venezuela at the 2010 Pan
American Games".

-MuZemike