[WikiEN-l] Updated new search interface on the prototype

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sat May 22 16:09:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
> On 5/21/10, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> now need to try typing the title of the longest article (which was
>> mentioned somewhere recently) to see if that will break the new gizmo.
>> :-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English ;-)

Well, what do you know? I cut and pasted "Lopadotemachosela" and the
search box autocompleted the full word (well, the full word with a
'...' in the middle). So it does work!

For the chemical one (over 189,000 letters) the redirect is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylala%E2%80%A6&redirect=no

The first four chemical groups and truncating it so it ends in "lala"?
:-) I guess the redirect name had to end somewhere, but there is an
inconsistency between the end of that redirect and the part of the
name listed at the "longest words page". I wonder if it is worth
finding out if that redirect is incorrect? Redirecting to "Titin" is
much more sensible.

*Sigh* Wikipedia doesn't give the rest of the name anywhere. I suppose
the "sum of all knowledge" doesn't extend to protein databases? Ah,
actually, look in the history of that redirect and I think all 189,819
letters are there and it was marked as a copyvio by CorenSearchBot as
a copy of a Yahoo Answers page? :-)

Well, I suppose protein names are protected in some ways, but I'm not
sure what happened here and what should have happened. But it
reaffirms my suspicions that you only have to scratch the surface
anywhere in Wikipedia and you find interesting histories and
discussions.

I summarised a bit here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Titin#Redirect_spelling_and_copyvio

The main argument for not having redirects like this is that no-one
checks the spelling...

Carcharoth