[WikiEN-l] Updated new search interface on the prototype

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sat May 22 05:45:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> We have a rough proxy for use of search, I believe, by seeing the
> traffic to special:search. We could try seeing if this exhibits any
> noticeable difference after the chance.

We're limited here by the fact that, for privacy and other reasons, we
don't track clickthroughs (so we can't tell how many people are
arriving at an article from the search box, only to go back to
searching).

That said, according to stats.grok.se, pageviews for Special:Search
dropped below 5 million hits per day three times in the last week,
having not done so since January 3 this year.

> On the other hand, you could interpret any such change in about seven
> different ways, so it may not help much... ;-)

Indeed, that's why it will be interesting to hear what metrics the
interface people used when making the decision to carry out this
change, presuming that they did actually use some.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com