[WikiEN-l] full-text searching since the Vector switch in en.wikipedia

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed May 19 14:40:51 UTC 2010

Carcharoth wrote:
> I suppose the idea is that most people using that search box want
> "go" functionality,

Many tech-savvy editors, perhaps, but certainly not most readers.

> not "search" functionality, but seeing as Google's default is
> "search" not "go", I suspect more people are used to getting a list
> of search results and clicking the top one than might be realised.

Indeed.  If there's to be one box, clearly it should be "Search",
not "Go".  (And the search results page already has a "Wikipedia has
an article on %s" link right at the top, if there's an exact match.
So, retconned, "Go" is/was kinda like the Google "I'm feeling lucky"
button.)