[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] full-text searching since the Vector switch in en.wikipedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 13:51:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe if the Go page had a "Not the result you wanted?
> Click here to search by text" prompt at the top?

That would work as well. I also find throwing a random extra term into
the search helps focus it and takes you to the search page as once you
add more search terms, it is unlikely to be an exact page title
(though it might sometimes be a redirect). Frankly, I'd like to be
able to turn autocomplete off (on Google as well) as I mostly find it
more of a pain than a help, and it clashes with the local autocomplete
that looks at what I typed in the past, which is often more helpful
that what the system thinks I am trying to type.

Anyone know how to resolve clashes between local autocompletes and
server-side autocompletes?

Carcharoth