[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] full-text searching since the Vector switch in en.wikipedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 13:42:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> But pressing the down button does nothing any more. *sigh*
>
> Yeah, they replaces A&B with C&D, then silently removed D. Be thankful
> that you still have C, you ungrateful user, you!!!!!

:-)

I would be grateful if I could access Wikipedia at all at the moment. :-(

The suggestions in comment 9 at the bugzilla linked in the original
post in this thread make a great deal of sense:

* Pressing the Enter key [or] clicking the magnifier in an empty
should bring the user to Special:Search.

[I think this is already what happens]

* Pressing the Enter key in a box with text should do "Go" if a page
by that name exists and "Search" if there's no such page.

[I think this is already what happens]

* Pressing the magnifier in a box with text should do "Search" in any case.

[This is the bit that doesn't happen - at the moment, pressing the
magnifier results in a "Go"]

Carcharoth