[WikiEN-l] Temporal tags and outdating

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Wed May 19 04:10:26 UTC 2010

Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just remembered that we do have time-dependent updating in the "age"
> bits of infoboxes. People's ages increase by one each year and they
> are assumed to be still alive until such time as their death is
> reported or they look a bit too old. But that is the only case I am
> aware of where content is automatically updated over time. But there
> may be others, of course.

So where its a simple matter of math, there's no verifiability issue.
There is a general substantive argument against automated content
creation, and most objections sit in that context. Age calculation
could be argued is an example which violates the principle. Its
interesting: By disliking automation in other seemingly simple
linguistic contexts and allowing for outdating (of weeks perhaps), it
seems that people much prefer the incorrect over the inaccurate. Which
is fine as long as its sourced.

-SC