[WikiEN-l] Temporal tags and outdating

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue May 18 23:04:10 UTC 2010

geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> [[WP:V]] says no. The use of the wrong tense has the additional
> benefit in that it instantly indicates that there is something that
> needs updating here.

You assume that such errors are good, just because they are obvious.
While I respect your uberterseness, you miss the point that these are
errors which are not always obvious and therefore go undetected. You
also miss the point that "date" here refers not just to tenses, but to
any context where language refers to future events. That such events
often do not come is one objection, but it does not to my mind rise to
become an issue of V.

So what in V would prohibit date-based tense or context switches?

-SC