[WikiEN-l] Pedantry on privileges

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue May 18 09:04:10 UTC 2010

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Probing the bounds of your actual authority in our environment is a
> necessary thing that all of us do with every BOLD action, it's a
> consequence of the generally non-hierarchical nature of the projects.
> So I don't think it's justified to flog someone forever when they
> cross a line that was apparently obvious to everyone except them,
> especially since these things tend to seem far more black and white
> after the fact.

Of course if people can bring themselves to assume good faith, it all
becomes somewhat easier.

Much confusion, it seems to me, between two "metrics" or axes: one to do
with fallibility (anyone can make mistakes relative to unfamiliar or
even familiar situations on the wikis, particularly when "implementation
details" are in the hands of self-selected groups and process wonks);
and another to do with politicisation (in which the default assumption
is of bad faith in those who would disturb a supposed equilibrium) which
is a version of small-c conservatism. The BOLD editor has trouble on
both fronts ("you're doing it out of process" and "anyway change is only
allowed after long debate").

Charles