[WikiEN-l] Reliable sources— some of these babies are ugly

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Sun May 16 09:32:13 UTC 2010

Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> But every opinion can be put
> in a measured manner: that is not, generally, our way either, but I
> think the advantages are apparent of _not_ using language like this:
> "By rush-imposing his views and decisions on people who are not out of
> the debate yet, he is browbeating their inner self, ignoring their
> beliefs and opinions, discarding the value of the Other".
> This is classic WP-internal rhetoric, isn't it? It is designed to press
> buttons with those who, although notionally subscribing to "WP isn't a
> democracy", basically believe there is "no consensus that doesn't
> include me". It is quite possible to write "there were plenty who
> disagreed", without covering in batter, frying in lard, sprinkling with
> onion rings and cheese, placing under the grill. and serving with
> sparklers and a side-salad of old grievances.

Keep in mind statements like those were made in the context of an
action by Jimbo, wherein the issue of "consensus" was moot, because
there was none.

The trend towards non-profit corporate culture has had a natural but
unpleasant button-down effect. (And not to mention an inane corporate
jargon effect - "assets" and "identity?")

-SC