[WikiEN-l] The New Look

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu May 13 20:10:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Carcharoth wrote:
>> <sigh>
>>
>> I'm used to typing the term for a page I know is there and hitting
>> "search" (instead of "go") because I want the results of a search
>> rather than being take to the page (e.g. when searching for people not
>> listed on a disambiguation page, though they should be). How do I do
>> that now? Ah. I click the small microscope icon and type in the full
>> search page instead. :-)
>>
>> Learning to find your way around a new interface is half the battle.
>>
> The other half, presumably, being to get over the annoyance that
> searching the site takes an extra keystroke or click now.

Well, not really, as I also type stuff in the URL and then click
"search" when the page isn't there, so saving the number of clicks I
do isn't really the aim. It's just getting past the "feeling lost"
stage and finding where stuff has been moved to, and where previous
functionality has been placed (and replicating it elsewhere if lost).
I realise I (and others) will have to adapt, and this is all part of
the usability drive.

Carcharoth