[WikiEN-l] Jimbo on Commons

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Tue May 11 23:44:26 UTC 2010

> Fwiw, I've long thought the presence of graphic sexual pictures on
> Commons, and certainly in Wikipedia, does more harm than good,
> because it means the site "can't be trusted" in the eyes of
> librarians, teachers, etc etc.

So, in other words, it's a good idea to have rules based on what
people think of us. Perhaps you have other reasons for thinking that
we shouldn't have graphic images on Wikipedia, but since this is only
one that you have expressed, it's the only one I will respond to. I
respectfully disagree. What John Q. Public thinks should only be a
minor factor in Wikipedian policy, NOT the deciding factor.

Sometimes a graphic sexual or anatomical image is warranted for
educational purposes. If anything, that would mean that teachers and
librarians should trust us more (albeit sometimes secretly due to
workplace politics or policies), since we aren't afraid to, for
example, have an article about a famous, explicit painting, and to
also have that painting in the article. Should the policies
surrounding such images need to be clarified? Sure. But regardless of
the chanting of "Think of the children!", we need to not ban such
images entirely.

Emily