[WikiEN-l] Flagged protection and patrolled revisions

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Sat May 8 03:31:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> How about this.  No message on the edit page itself.  When they save
> the edit, they're redirected to the draft page of that article, with a
> message at the top saying something like "This is a publicly-viewable
> draft, and will be shown to all viewers by default after review."
> There's no need to mention it *before* the edit, is there?

Hi Aryeh,

I think this an idea worth discussing more, but I think the idea may get
lost if it stays solely on this mailing list, so here's what I'm going to
recommend:
1.  File a bug on bugzilla.wikimedia.org.
2.  Let me know that you've done that.
3.  I'll add further consideration to our backlog

I'm pretty doubtful that we'll be able to get to this before launch.  My
understanding here (based on what I heard in the WMF meeting, but I may have
misheard) is that what is being requested is how the German Wikipedia used
to work, and they switched it to the current behavior.  That means that, at
a minimum, we'll need some more time to think about the proposed change than
we'd like to let delay the initial trial.  That's not to say that we won't
get to it, but getting more experience with the feature would be best before
tinkering with this aspect of it.

Make sense?
Rob