[WikiEN-l] Flagged protection and patrolled revisions

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:59:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> having things change mid-edit could be a bit disconcerting!
>
> I've just remembered that in some implementations of this, almost
> nothing changes (you have to actively bring pages within the new
> system), and hardly anyone will notice any difference on most pages.
> If that's the case, then I may be worrying over very little. But
> hopefully there will be a final summary update (on-wiki) that can be
> read before the new system goes live.

What was decided on was using the protection control knobs to
selectively activate it.

Technically this means that nothing changes when this is activated. In
practice, however, I expect this means that every semi and full
protected page will be fairly quickly converted and in the main
namespace actual protection will quickly become a infrequently used
drastic measure employed only against high volume trouble making. ...
so I would expect it to hit a lot of pages rather quickly as a lot of
popular pages are semi-protected.

Hopefully the visible difference for most people will be minimal and
the primary visible effect will be that popular pages will once again
be editable for people without long established accounts.

As the software currently stands, however,  it generates some rather
obnoxious messages advising you that your edits won't be visible until
they've been reviewed... but I hope that we get rid of that before
launch.