[WikiEN-l] Looking for thoughts on statistics

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 19:04:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 March 2010 19:18, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> How so? Number of countries is 193 (roughly), but even if you factor
>> in the fact that some countries share languages and some countries are
>> a bit, well, small, you still have something that could approach a
>> factor of x10 (i.e. an order of magnitude).
>
> Because once you move outside Western Europe and north America you
> don't have to go back very far before record have been lost,
> destroyed, never kept or kept by Western Europeans.

<snip>

Sure, but my other question remains. What is the degree of overlap
between Wikipedia language editions and what is the rate at which
stuff is being translated and moved between editions, and what could
the potential eventual size be if that was done with improved
efficiency and reliability?

Carcharoth