[WikiEN-l] A war on external links? Was: Inside Higher Ed: Does Wikipedia Suck?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 23:27:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>>> And
>>> further reading sections can point the way for future expansions of
>>> the article, or for the reader to go and find out more about the
>>> topic.
>>>
>>> Carcharoth
>>
>> That is why I despise the war on external links and further reading some
>> editors seem to think is appropriate.
>
> I don't think I've seen much evidence of a "war on external links"
> ... what there is is, however, is pressure against an unfiltered flood
> of external links.

Some editors, though, do have a thing against external links. An
example from my recent experience: edit-warring with an editor about
linking <5 reviews and official sites on _[[Royal Space Force: The
Wings of Honnêamise]]_. They apparently interpreted WP:EL as meaning
that *if* a link could be used elsewhere in the article (such as a
reception section), it *must* be so used or be removed.

--
gwern