[WikiEN-l] declining numbers of EN wiki admins

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:02:02 UTC 2010

On 25 March 2010 20:51, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> By all measures, en.wiki has been in decline for years as an active project.
> It's just the typical death by bureaucracy that most projects like this
> undergo.

I think "death" is overstating it. Many things show rapid growth
followed by a small decline before stabilising. That's what I think is
happening with enwiki (the rate of decline in many metrics has
massively reduced compared to just after their peaks). You are,
however, right to state that what we're seeing with admin numbers is
replicated by most other statistics. It would probably be best to look
at the ratio of active admins to active Wikipedians. Since both groups
have shrunk since around 2006/2007, the ratio may have stayed roughly
steady.