[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 80, Issue 14

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:58:56 UTC 2010

> ---------- Forwarded message (Start) ----------
> From: Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>
> Date: Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:41 AM
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] Catching the death of living people
> To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>

> Does anybody have a bot or script that aligns the
> categories for year of death across language
> interwiki links, to make sure the death of a living
> person is recorded on all languages? I think this
> is something we need to run once or twice each year.
> Maybe the interwiki bot could do it?

I would be very cautious about running a program to mark people as
dead on this basis. Interwiki links are wonderful things but I
wouldn't guarantee they always link the same real life person,
especially when you consider how many Italian Americans and German
Americans there are. I'm sure there will be Italians who are the main
article for their name on the Italian Wikipedia whilst we have an
Italian American of the same name as the subject of the EN Wiki
article.  I appreciate that the people putting the interwiki links up
do so conscientiously, but I've also seen BLPs where subsequent
editors have changed the subject of the article. Bot assisted editing
would be good here, or perhaps a talkpage message.

But kudos for raising the issue, one thing I realised during the
recent BLP deletion spree and its aftermath is that either having a
wikipedia article dramatically increases your life expectancy, or we
are not very good at sourcing the deaths of people who retire and
don't die whilst they are in the public spotlight (I suspect a
statistical analysis of Wikipedia articles would give solid evidence
for the  "and they all lived happily ever after" nursery story ending
).

--
WereSpielChequers