[WikiEN-l] Steven Walling: Why Wikipedians Are Weird

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 7 11:52:10 UTC 2010

You could also ask why people work for money for encyclopedia
publishers. I know some people who have worked as researchers at print
encyclopedias, and they sure as hell didn't do it for the money (the
pay was rubbish). It is not quite the same as volunteering for free,
but the same altruistic aims are there - doing something for the love
of it and because you think the end product is something worthwhile.
That may feed into feelings of self-worth, but that is not the whole
story. There should still be room for simply altruism that is not
self-serving.

Carcharoth