[WikiEN-l] Notability for FLOSS - the public's reaction

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:48:51 UTC 2010

On 5 March 2010 13:30, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A lot of these deletions are on the complete absence of evidence that
>> anyone outside the project actually cares.

> By project you mean dwm, not Wikipedia, I presume? :-)

Yes. The objections are "this is noteworthy for having x thousand
downloaders and a busy forum." But no note outside of that. There's
typically (I say *typically*) little evidence that anyone who doesn't
already know about the project would ever, ever look it up.

The YCombinator thread has a comment pointing out that they want to
get into Wikipedia precisely *because* it isn't a random-crap bucket.
No-one has as a checklist item "make sure there's a Knol about our
project."

- d.