[WikiEN-l] Notability for FLOSS - the public's reaction

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 5 10:58:38 UTC 2010

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> The [[dwm]] deletion discussion has caught the interest of some of the
> more nerdy online communities:
>
> - http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/b8s29/the_wikipedia_deletionists_are_at_it_again_this/
> - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1163884
>
> It's interesting to see the general levels of disgust and how few
> current editors there are in comparison to former, and read the
> dislike of WP:N.

As usual, one has to sift the arguments. Why aren't blogs included under
RS? That would be because they are generally unreliable? Why does a
snowboarding slalom event not have its own article? That would be
because no one has started one, I guess. Why does someone who left in
2006 still bring it up? Elephant's memory for grudges, I suppose.
> I certainly hope the usability initiatives bear fruit and entice
> regular people into becoming editors, because we're burning our
> bridges among our original techy contributor base.

Yes, the logic should be that the encyclopedia during the next decade
gets its priorities in line with the human race in general, or at least
anglophone online members in general, rather than those of the geeky end
of the spectrum. Whatever those are owed (which is much). Perhaps then
we might get more of the perspective that writing off a database of
three million articles because of the absence of the three of particular
personal interest is a trifle blinkered. Though I'm not so sure about
that ...

Oh yes, and what Carcharoth said about FLOSS history needing the
secondary sources: if "they" don't write the history, it isn't just WP
coverage that suffers, but the whole documentation, especially if the
primary sources are emails, perishable web pages, and suchlike.

Charles