[WikiEN-l] Cheatsheet

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 29 09:59:33 UTC 2010

James Forrester wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 10:05, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Where is our cheatsheet for Wikipedia editing? Is it any good?
>>

> There's http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cheatsheet-en.pdf (on
> wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CHEATSHEET) but it
> doesn't cover tables, templates or citations - it's just a basic
> hand-out, good for people on new wikis but sadly not enough for wikis
> with crazy levels of code, like enwiki. Hopefully the UX work will be
> useful in this regard!

I thought about this in 2008, and again just recently as a result of a
conversation on usability. Of various approaches to user-friendliness,
most attention seems to be given to changing the interface, and then to
the existence of wizards (I'm simplifying, of course). I hear little
about documentation, and I don't remember hearing anything about working
on a minimal page or sheet that could be the resource to give to a
competent person who just wants to do some spot-editing. When in 2008 I
looked, there wasn't an adequate resource.

WP:CHEATSHEET ducks discussing references by linking to detailed pages.
I think this could be improved.

Charles