[WikiEN-l] Parallel Articles on topics

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 27 21:26:16 UTC 2010

Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 27 June 2010 06:47, Elias Friedman <elipongo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You're proposing to overturn the rules against POV forking? Seems like
>> a bad idea to me - the encyclopedia would shatter into an unnavigable
>> mess if every interest group were to split off their own versions of
>> articles.
>>

> I think there's a valid issue here, but there's a balance to be struck between:
>
> * X as it occurs in one specific context
> * X from the perspective of one viewpoint
>
> So it would be legitimate to have an article on [[Economic
> philosophies of the Something Party]] and one on [[Economic
> philosophies of the Other Party]]; it would not be legitimate to have
> an article on [[Economics (Somethingian)]] as a counter to [[Economics
> (Otherian)]].
>
> Where you draw the line, though, is quite tricky...

It's not so tricky to say that (a) NPOV is never negotiable in an
article, and (b) a POV content fork is not a distinction between topics,
but a way of spreading out content according to editorial view. We have
never accepted that POV content forks have a place in WP. (They have a
very large place elsewhere, which is a good reason to stick to our guns
on this.)

Charles