[WikiEN-l] Parallel Articles on topics

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Jun 27 17:41:31 UTC 2010

On 06/27/2010 09:34 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
> [Ian Woolard wrote:]
>> No, it's a disastrous idea; it's inherently antithetic to NPOV. What
>> you'd be doing is creating articles that are deliberately non NPOV.
>
> And war to control the content of the "NPOV" article is not a disastrous
> idea?

Just the opposite. Precisely because it isn't war, it's discussion
leading to compromise.

As David points out, what we have basically works. Ten years ago, it was
an open question, but now it's pretty much proved: people of all stripes
can come together and create a consensus understanding about anything,
including the world's most contentious topics. It's not always easy, and
it's not argument-free, but it's not war. There are no anonymous dead,
no razed villages, no smoking rubble where children once played.

An important tool of warmongers is, in effect, the POV fork. Propaganda
leading up to war often constructs a version of reality that is
irreconcilable with the view of the proposed enemy. If understandings
are different enough, there is no room for compromise -- no attempt at
compromise -- which means matters must be settled by force.  Diplomats,
on the other hand, labor to find common ground, the shared
understandings from which agreements can be made.

As long as we have humans, we'll have different viewpoints, and
arguments about which is right. But as long as those arguments are the
pursuit of common understanding, then that's not war, but the stuff of
peace.

William