[WikiEN-l] Parallel Articles on topics

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Sun Jun 27 16:56:25 UTC 2010

On 27 June 2010 17:47, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Where you draw the line, though, is quite tricky...
>
> So should the various articles linked to from here be deleted?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_economic_thought

Economics was a bad example, perhaps :-)

That said, this illustrates the point - we are quite capable of having
an article on [[neoclassical economics]] and one on [[marxist
economics]], but what we don't have is two co-equal articles on
[[economics]], one from a Marxist perspective and one from a
neoclassical perspective.

As I say, fuzzy line, especially with more philosophical concepts - it
shows up the problems with simply saying "we don't like forks".

The original article being discussed here was, I believe, the
biography of a particular historic-religious figure, and this is where
we can hit problems, but also where a "X views on..." article can work
out well if handled correctly.

To take a prominent example, it's reasonable to have [[Jesus in
Christianity]] and [[Jesus in Islam]], but they need to both be
treated as subsets of the article on [[Jesus]], in the same way that
[[Historicity of Jesus]] or [[Cultural depictions of Jesus]] are, and
*not* as seperate forms of the main article. The trick is in getting
that balance right.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk