[WikiEN-l] One-sentence explanation of pending changes

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Jun 9 21:30:42 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 18:26, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> However, your notion that a limit would reduce the potential for drama
> is reasonable.

I'd agree with this. A limit - even if it's not technically needed -
which can be altered after a bedding-in period is a great idea, and
it's probably an improvement on the situation without one. If nothing
else, it avoids us being overambitious, protecting more pages than we
can scale to handle, and then discovering the hard way that there are
horrible backlogs.

One suggestion I would make is to give a draft timetable - say, if we
are happy with the technical conditions then on D+60 after rollout
we'll increase it to 4,000, and allow other namespaces, and then
increase it by a thousand pages a month until X point. Or something -
if we have a timetable we can speed it up or slow it down as
circumstances warrant, but otherwise it'll seem a bit arbitrary and a
point of friction.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk