[WikiEN-l] Prizes and the British Museum and Wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 27 09:13:54 UTC 2010

Michael Peel wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2010, at 09:15, Charles Matthews wrote:
>

>> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>>
>>> 'British Museum pays for Wikipedia page views'
>>> http://www.examiner.com/x-58002-Wiki-Edits-Examiner~y2010m7d26-British-Museum-pays-for-Wikipedia-page-views
>>>

>> I decided to ignore the whole "prizes" aspect of the BM residency.
>> That's a snarky piece, really, and there is no need for me to add to the
>> snarkiness. But the idea of a wiki is collaboration, and any prizes that
>> ignore that an article is developed by a team (how exactly do you divide
>> up a £100 book prize among those who get an article to FA?) are
>> basically misconceived.
>>

> Um ... £100 / (number of people involved)? or using a weighted distribution? Seems fairly easy to me, and definitely a lot easier than dividing up a specific prize (e.g. a book worth £100).
>
> Mike
> (Leaving aside that it's a general voucher, not book-specific.)

So, [[Hoxne Hoard]] (not FA yet, might have been a contender), you'd
comb through well over 1000 edits, parcel out credit for substantive
edits, factor in photo credits, give some sort of reward for those to
were constructive on the Talk page, I hope, rather than plunging in with
additions that others had to sort out? I'm sure there would be no
arguments at all from people awarded £2 for work they thought was worth
at least £3.

The fact is that the underlying assumption was of a single-minded editor
who'd be motivated by a prize to put in time to create an FA pretty much
from scratch. Not our model of collaboration.

Charles