[WikiEN-l] Prizes and the British Museum and Wikipedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 27 06:10:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> http://www.examiner.com/x-58002-Wiki-Edits-Examiner~y2010m7d26-British-Museum-pays-for-Wikipedia-page-views

Thanks for the link. I had read that article previously and thought it
was fairly interesting while getting a few points not quite right.

I agree that having a featured article in Latin seems a bit pointless,
but it is actually useful as a quirky point to publicise the fact that
we have such language wikis. If I was giving advice to anyone thinking
of running a similar competition, specifying or excluding languages
would be one option, or requiring that the entrants be from a range of
languages (or require the articles to be translated into at least one
other language after gaining featured status, and all to be translated
into English unless there is already an existing article).

I do regret not being in the country at the time of the British Museum
meeetup, and I hope they do another one.

Carcharoth