[WikiEN-l] Wanted: Wikipedia Online Ambassadors

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:15:04 UTC 2010

The Wikimedia Foundation is now recruiting Online Ambassadors for the
Public Policy Initiative.  (The Initiative is a new program in which
university students will contribute meaningful work to Wikipedia as
part of their classes -- but we need a corps of Wikipedia Ambassadors
to help professors and students throughout the semester and to lay the
groundwork for new, more effective, and more systematic ways of
helping new users.)

We are finalizing a list of Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors who will be
available in person on the college campuses, but we also want
Wikipedia Online Ambassadors who can coordinate with professors and
assist students via email, on the wiki, and on IRC.

We need experienced Wikipedians with a track record of helping newbies
who will be able to commit at least 2 hours per week in the fall
semester to join.  We want the Online Ambassadors program to be
something that continues on and expands after the Public Policy
Initiative concludes, as a more systematic way to help new users and
put Wikipedia's friendliest face forward.  So the idea is to develop a
community, and best practices, for focused welcoming of new editors,
especially students assigned to edit.

If you're interested, please visit our Online Ambassadors page for
more details on the position and how to apply:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy/Online_Ambassadors

-Sage Ross (aka ragesoss)
Online Facilitator, Public Policy Initiative
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sross_%28Public_Policy%29