[WikiEN-l] Another sourcing problem

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 23:16:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

>> Put the character on a comics Wikia with all the desired information
>> and have Wikipedia link to it. Presumably a Wikia on comics can
>> establish its own reliable sources list to allow comic fan journals
>
> We'd then have Wikipedia linking to something that's an unreliable source by
> Wikipedia standards.

See point #4 here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:EXTERNAL#Links_to_be_considered

I would suggest that gives you justification.

> It's not a "fan fiction" dispute in the sense that you imply.  It's about a
> published author claiming that there was a fan fiction dispute and being able
> to have only her side of the story on Wikipedia because the "fan fiction"
> author cannot publish her side in a reliable source.

I'm not sure if this will fly but...

If the fan fiction author has their own website on which to publish
their side I don't see why that would not be a reliable source. It
would be a reliable source *for* *their* *side* *of* *this*
*argument*. Provided the fan fiction author's site is not used as
citation for anything other than their role in this story, I feel this
would be acceptable. I am far from sure whether others will agree with
me, though.

It might go more smoothly if the fan fiction author's name is
mentioned in the reliable sources in question and the fan fiction
author's site is www.name-mentioned-in-the-reliable-source.com.

> If you really think it's unimportant because it's about fan fiction, then
> we shouldn't mention it at all.  That's no excuse to mention one side.

Importance is only an issue because you've suggested that we review
our entire commitment to reliable sources over it but I'm *hoping* I
may have given you a solution there which makes such a review
unnecessary.