[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia’s Foundation Plans Expansion"

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 14 09:28:55 UTC 2010

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But I also think that we all agree
>> that there's definitely a long way to go before en-wp could be considered
>> "full". IMO we're only just scratching the surface of what we can eventually
>> achieve :-)
>>
>> -Liam
>>

> My usual link on this topic is:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Piotrus/Wikipedia_interwiki_and_specialized_knowledge_test

<snip>

"One of the interesting questions about Wikipedia is 'how much more
information there is for Wikipedia to assimilate'?" My impression is
that people who are encyclopedists at heart, and are at all interested
in the question, know that the only possible answer is "a hell of a
lot". As for the interwiki mapping, which is an interesting topic for
sure, wans't there something relevant about this in the recent
Snow/Wales open letter? That is, and there was something about this
before on this list, there is a data structure that bots use to automate
interwiki linking, and it seems the WMF is bringing it out into the open
in some way? This is one of the more cheering pieces of news I've heard
from the Foundation recently. More details would be welcome.

Charles