[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia in popular culture

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:14:11 UTC 2010

That's probably an unusually accurate answer ;-) It's quite a hard question.

A lot of people have a fairly intuitive feel for it, but they cannot
tell you why.

I actually looked around in the literature to try to find a workable
definition for what an encyclopedia is, and the best answer I found
that, for a significant number (although certainly not the majority)
of articles, the Wikipedia goes outside it.

> http://twitter.com/alisonclement/status/8421314259
>
> "Yesterday I asked one of my students if she knew what an encyclopedia
> is, and she said, Is it something like Wikipedia?"
>

> - d.

-Ian Woollard