[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 03:07:49 UTC 2010

Sheesh. I was on a press conference call today with one of the deleted
people as a speaker.

*Robert Corell* is the Director of the Global Change Program at The H. John
Heinz III Center for Science, Economics, and the Environment and is a Senior
Policy Fellow at the Policy Program of the American Meteorological
Society<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Meteorological_Society>,
and he recently completed an appointment as a Senior Research Fellow
in the Belfer
Center for Science and International
Affairs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfer_Center_for_Science_and_International_Affairs>of
the Kennedy
School of Government<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_School_of_Government>at
Harvard
University <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University> which began in
January 2000. He is currently actively engaged in research concerned with
both the science of global change and the interface between science and
public policy. He is particularly interested in global and regional climate
change <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change> and related
environmental issues, and in the science to facilitate understanding of
vulnerability and sustainable
development<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_development>
.

Dr. Corell is the co-chairman of an international strategic planning group
that is developing the strategy for and the programs and activities that are
designed to harness science, technology and innovation for sustainable
development. This planning effort is sponsored by the International Council
for Science <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Council_for_Science>(ICSU),
the Third
World Academy of
Sciences<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World_Academy_of_Sciences>(TWAS),
and a major international initiative, supported in part from a grant
from the Packard
Foundation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Foundation>entitled
“An International Initiative for Science Technology, and Innovation
for Sustainability (ISTS).” He is the leader of an international partnership
intended to better understand and plan for a transition to
hydrogen<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen>for several nations,
entitled the “Global Hydrogen Partnership,” currently
focused on Iceland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland>,
India<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India>,
and the eight Arctic nations seeking to address this important new
energy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy>strategy and economic
policy.

Dr. Corell is leading a research project to explore methods, models, and
conceptual frameworks for vulnerability research, analysis, and assessment.
The current focus of which is on vulnerabilities of indigenous communities
in the Arctic. Further, he currently serves as the Chair of the Arctic
Climate Impact Assessment<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Climate_Impact_Assessment>;
an international assessment of the impacts of climate variability, change,
and UV increases in the Arctic Region, and the Chair of an international
planning R&D effort for the Arctic region and with a time scale of a decade
or two ahead. He is also the Senior Science Advisor to ManyOne
Networks<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ManyOne_Networks>,
a Silicon Valley <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley> team
designing the next generation of Internet Web Browser, the initial focus on
planet earth and Chair of the Board of the Digital Universe
Foundation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Universe_Foundation>
.

Prior to January 2000, Dr. Corell was Assistant Director for Geosciences at
the National Science
Foundation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation>(NSF)
where he had oversight for the Atmospheric, Earth, and Ocean Sciences
and the global change programs of the NSF. While at the NSF, Dr. Corell also
served as the Chair of the National Science and Technology
Council<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_and_Technology_Council>’s
committee that has oversight of the U.S. Global Change Research
Program<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Global_Change_Research_Program>and
was Chair of the international committee of government agencies
funding
global change research. Further, he served as Chair and principal U.S.
delegate to many international bodies with interests in and responsibilities
for climate and global change research programs.

Prior to joining the NSF, Dr. Corell was a Professor and academic
administrator at the University of New
Hampshire<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_New_Hampshire>.
Dr. Corell is an oceanographer and engineer by background and training,
having received the Ph.D., M.S. and B.S. degrees at the Case Western Reserve
University and MIT and has held appointments at the Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woods_Hole_Oceanographic_Institution>,
the Scripps Institution of
Oceanography<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripps_Institution_of_Oceanography>,
the University of