[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Biographies of living people

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:49:34 UTC 2010

Re [[Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Biographies of living people]]

The sad thing about the current deletion spree is that it started only
a fortnight after DASHBot started gently chiding authors about their
supposedly unsourced BLP contributions.  I think the next logical step
would be to have a similar bot inform wiki projects about unsourced
BLPs relevant to that project. The preceding step should have been to
change our article creation processes to require sources for all new
BLPs......

The risks of the current approach are that some contributors may be
lost to the project,  a whole bunch of  poorly sourced BLPs will be
hastily brought to a standard that will keep them safe for a few more
years, lots of good if poorly sourced material will be lost,  and some
really damaging stuff will slip through the net because so much
attention is currently focussed on low traffic mostly harmless bios.
There will be really  damaging stuff on the pedia that we won't find
for months and I bet much of it will be in articles that at least
appear to be sourced.

Anyone who wants an example of a non BLP vandalism worse than anything
I've seen found in these old bios is welcome to ask me at the next
London meetup - which should be on the 14th Feb.

WereSpielChequers