[WikiEN-l] The Curious Incident of the Fans in the Night

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:41:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/18 Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net>:
>
>> The problem is that Wikipedia policies pretty much encourage editors to
>> filibuster changes they don't like by demanding sources and questioning the
>> sources.  This is useful when there's a serious question about whether the
>> information is accurate, but it's also abused when there's no serious question
>> about the information's accuracy and the request for sources is used to block
>> something they want to exclude for other reasons.  If someone then provides a
>> valid source anyway, the source just gets repeatedly questioned regardles of
>> whether it follows Wikipedia's sourcing rules.
>

> If they want to filibuster the reliability of this source, it speaks
> of some child being Robert Heinlein's great-grandson ... Heinlein
> didn't have any children. I wonder where they got that from.
>

> - d.

After some checking, it seems he really didn't have any offspring. But
he had quite a few siblings, so I am going to tentatively assume that
http://www.cheryl-morgan.com/?p=7536 is right and what was meant was
great-grandnephew.

They might've simply asked the kid and gotten that response; I
remember when I was that age & younger I was none too clear on the
whole genealogical tree and who was nephew to whom. But hopefully
someone will contact the article writer and get it straightened out.

--
gwern