[WikiEN-l] Another notability casualty

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:45:17 UTC 2010

I thing compromise IS the solution.

I said that the sort of compromise by deciding the individual cases half one
way half the other on a more or less random basis is the worst way to do a
compromise.

I didn't go into the best way to form a compromise. The way that works in
the outside world is that someone in authority forces the people to
compromise under threat of deciding the issue themselves.  Except for
behavior, we have no such authority and I wouldn't want us to have one as a
general matter. Perhaps we might resort to binding arbitration with an ad
hoc arbitrator in some cases. More generally, we did a better method of
forming policy. Polls are susceptible to swamping by one side unless there
is a serious attempt in more general participation than say , the
current BLP poll. Discussions in the usual way can be deadlocked by a single
person persisting in an objection, as is happening right now at WT:FICTION.

The only practical hope is for us to attract new people who will come to the
discussions without long-set preconceptions about them.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.