[WikiEN-l] Another notability casualty

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 19:38:00 UTC 2010

The existing situation is of great assistance to another species: the
wiki-barrister,  expert is using whatever legal processes are available to
achieve equity. .  If such a person  intuitively think an article should be
kept, they will find arguments to keep it, and vice-versa. For essentially
every article at AfD contested in good faith, they  could find plausible
arguments based on policy for either keeping or deleting. For  the
unscrupulous  subspecies, they could find arguments of some sort for a good
deal that is not really reasonably contestable.

In truth, the only general concept of notability   is  what articles are
suitably important for the encyclopedia that we want to have. Collectively,
we can decide on whatever sort of encyclopedia we want, and can consequently
have whatever concept of notability we want. There is no actual pre-existing
meaning of the term, and WP:N goes to some lengths to distinguish it from
any word used in an ordinary way. People argue as if Wikipedia should
conform to some standard of notability, but we can have whatever rules we
please. We can use a concept like the GNG to whatever extent and in whatever
way we decide to use it. For example, some people have argued we should in
some fields only count scholarly articles, and no general news sources at
all; some people have argued the exact reverse.   If we prefer abstract
standards, we can have them at whatever level we want.  To take an area I
work on, we have decided to include all college  presidents; we could limit
 it to major universities, or we could decide to include all high school
principals.   To take an area  where I don't work, we have flipped back and
forth on whether to include minor-league baseball players.

Since we have no really universally agreed  vision of what the encyclopedia
should be, almost any decision is the result of compromise. We can have
whatever compromise can get enough agreement. It's not a matter of logic,
just a matter of of what we can find that works for enough of us to resolve
the individual problems. (At present, we use inconsistency as a sort of
compromise: of articles on computer programs of very similar marginal
importance, and very similar marginal sourcing, about half will be included
and half not, so people of all positions on this can say they win half the
time, or (more likely) complain that they lose half the time.  Personally, I
think that's the worst way to find a solution.

 David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.