[WikiEN-l] Unreverted vandalism

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 12 12:55:32 UTC 2010

It's not quite a simple issue. I think we know vandalism is a "long
tail" phenomenon, i.e. statistics of average reversion time get
dominated by some very long-lasting bad edits. So for example median and
mean reversion times may be very different. The question is whether one
reads that as "soft security" actually breaking down, or as the comment
that flagged doodads are a bit late to the party or will effect a big
improvement. And then there is the issue of people not blanking their
watchlists if they stop using them, which would conceal the effectively
unwatched pages from the admins who would otherwise watchlist them. The
latter problem could be addressed by database searches looking at
watchlists of those who edit little.

Charles