[WikiEN-l] Images that are PD in their country of origin

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:05:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:34, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:

> I agree that the "educational content" and "free license or in the
> public domain" aspects do often conflict, but both aspects need to be
> borne in mind when debating such cases.
>
> Right, but both aspects aren't borne in mind, that's the problem. The free
eclipses the educational. The educational often has to sneak in the back
door under the guise of fair use, reduced in size and quality, argued over
endlessly and depressingly year after year, just because it doesn't fit one
of our standard U.S.-based free-licence tags.

Please ponder on the grotesque absurdity of a project designed to empower,
collect, develop and disseminate etc having policies in place that threaten
Holocaust images with deletion, images that were taken by victims at
enormous personal risk precisely to tell the world what was happening.

Imagine that one of those victims were here now, part of this discussion.
Please explain to him why we can't develop image policies that avoid that
outcome.

Sarah