[WikiEN-l] Unreverted vandalism

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:36:43 UTC 2010

The situation should improve if they *ever* enable flagged versions on
the English wikipedia. At the moment detecting vandalism is a bit
hit-and-miss; flagged versions should enable 100% checking.

That wouldn't completely stop vandalism, but it will greatly reduce
it. This should be true even if we just use the flags as a technique
to mark whether or not articles have been checked or not, rather than
determining whether they should be seen.

On 11/02/2010, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 11 February 2010 15:48, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> The latest example is here:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Military_science&diff=339309229&oldid=337736730
>>>
>>> [I'm not at the right computer at the moment, so hopefully someone
>>> will fix that]
>>
>> Fixed.
>
> Thanks.
>
>>> So is it as big a problem as it seems? What percentage of vandalism
>>> doesn't get caught for days or weeks?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aetheling/Vandalism_survival
>>
>> That's a pretty good study, albeit with a very small sample size (100
>> articles).
>
> "an estimated 10% of all vandalism endures for months and even years
> indicates that some new tools and strategies are needed for rooting
> out the most subtle and persistent forms of vandalism"
>
> Quite a strong claim there.
>
> The talk page discussion is interesting.
>
> Carcharoth

-Ian Woollard