[WikiEN-l] ThumbDrive(R) registered as a trademark in part because of a Wikipedia edit

Newyorkbrad newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 09:49:48 UTC 2010

Interestingly, here's a recent TTAB decision (albeit non-precedential) that
was recently linked on WR, holding that a Wikipedia article may NOT
generally be used to establish controverted facts in a registration
proceeding:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/ttabvue-91188584-OPP-10.pdf

This is consistent with the weight of the (court) caselaw in the US.  Judges
sometimes cite Wikipedia articles for uncontroversial background
information, but hold that they aren't admissible to establish disputed
facts -- in large measure, simply relying on the on-wiki disclaimers.

Newyorkbrad