[WikiEN-l] CZ fork: Tendrl

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 10 20:52:45 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 05:02, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> http://www.basicprogramming.org/larsent/tendrl/index.php/Tendrl:Differences
>> Everyone uses their own real names.
> Meh. You lose good editors that way.
>
>> Potential contributors need to create an account to edit, but don't have to provide an autobiography.
> Sure, why not?
>
>> Have only one or two bodies with clearly-defined authority. People have common sense: trust them to use it.
> That'll scale.
>
>> Experts are invited to review articles, but they need to contribute as a regular editor for some time first.
> I'm sure the experts who are already tripping over themselves to write
> wikipedia articles will love that.
>
>> We have a zero-tolerance policy on sniping and offensive remarks.
>> Have a culture that looks down upon incivility and poisonousness with a sense of humour:>laugh about things.
> That's not zero-tolerance. That's the way every project starts.
>
>> Ensure that (administrators|wardens|whatever we decide to call them) feel no qualms about>kicking out clearly disruptive people.
> If it was clear to everyone who the disruptive people were, there
> would never be any problems. But one person's troll is another
> person's misunderstood genius.

Hmm. I've just thought of a generalisation about WP, which I haven't
immediately discarded (a freakish circumstance). WP has problems - hoo
boy - but they are the problems of success. When they bring out the cake
with the ten candles, let's all make a wish: that we continue to have
that sort of problem, not the ones the competition has.

Charles