[WikiEN-l] Amazonified Wikipedia

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:49:23 UTC 2010

On 3 December 2010 14:06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We were not consulted, and are currently fully examining this. It is not
> official or endorsed by us.
>
> Erik

I quite like the idea, but the current implementation does seem a bit
dubious in terms of trademark use. As a big company with copious
lawyers, it's very surprising that Amazon didn't think to contact WMF
at all.

Also on the example page linked (James Joyce) you can of course just
scroll down to the Project Gutenberg link and get most of his works
for free! Although they did think to remove the Wikisource link.

In the reverse direction, we once had a WMF Amazon Associates account,
to earn money on purchases from Amazon via
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Book_sources. Does it still
exist? It would probably only add up to a small amount, but I don't
see any reason not to restore it. There's a stalled discussion at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Book_sources#Amazon_associate_number

Pete / the wub