[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia committee member"

Michel Vuijlsteke wikipedia at zog.org
Tue Aug 31 15:14:20 UTC 2010

On 31 August 2010 16:51, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 August 2010 15:16, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org> wrote:
>
> > Whether a part of an article is a spoiler or not (and it's certainly not
> > black & white issue) is an interesting bit of metadata to add. There's a
> > variety of ways to display this information in an article -- collapsible
> > paragraphs, a "spoiler warning" alert, white on white text, etc. Any of
> > these display methods could have a "enough with the spoiler warnings" or
> > "don't hide plot points from me anymore" -- that's just a UI point.
> > Of course, it's a little late for that now. All that information was
> > removed. Too bad.
>

> How do you objectively and neutrally determine what is and isn't a spoiler?

You don't.
Just like you can't objectively and neutrally determine if someone is fit to
be an administrator, or if a picture is really "beautiful, stunning,
impressive, or informative" enough to be featured.

It's a call you make. You do something you believe will get a consensus.
Most of the time there won't be much discussion: "Crowe was dead himself the
whole time" and "Tyler Durden is the narrator's alter ego" probably could
have a spoiler warning; "The Titanic sinks" and "Jesus dies on the cross but
not really" probably don't need one. If you do get discussion, there's
oodles of mechanisms to resolve things.

Anyway. That particular data has been removed, the discussion has been held,
no point in revisiting it, I guess. Sorry for bringing it up at all.

Michel Vuijlsteke