[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia committee member"

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:53:09 UTC 2010

The idea that we should hide or withhold obviously pertinent
information - like the plot of a novel, movie, play, etc. in an
article about same - has always struck me as anti-encyclopedia.
Personally, I often look up articles on these subjects just to find
out details of the plot... are you considering my needs as a reader
when you make the paternalistic decision to scrub these articles of
"spoilers"? I'm frustrated to find, on a regular basis, articles of
this type stripped of all but the most general plot information -
reduced, essentially, to the marketing blurbs put out by whoever
publishes the content. Often you can find the plot information in the
article history, and I've restored several of them, but who knows how
many readers have come to the article hoping to see the plot and been
disappointed by its absence? Encyclopedia articles ought to be
comprehensive, and we rightly shoot down proposals aimed at the
opposite.

~Nathan