[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia committee member"

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 20:31:36 UTC 2010

In a wide range of articles we make fairly tight decisions what is relevant
to present an encyclopedic article, and what is not strictly needed.
Guidelines on plot summaries emphasize they should not be over-detailed.

I have no problem at all with the concept that we can have an encyclopedic
article on a book or play that states "the final scene is a classical
denouement for a thriller and contains a twist ending" without needing to
reveal all, and I have no problem with the idea that to do so is not "weak"
or "censorship" but a strict consideration of what we need to say, for a
neutral informative encyclopedic article, with the rest beyond that shaded
by avoidance of harm.

There will be many cases where we need to provide details that some would
prefer not to read, because they go to the heart of the article or the
topic's full description.  I don't think this is one of them.

FT2