[WikiEN-l] Webypedia - another doomed alternative to Wikipedia

William Beutler williambeutler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 00:14:11 UTC 2010

As to the "natural monopoly" question, well, there is this resource:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly

There are some markets where network effects and very high entry costs, such
as building infrastructure, make it very difficult for competitors to arise.
Regarding Wikipedia, the financial costs may not be prohibitive, but the
social capital necessary to create a serious rival may be (just ask Larry
Sanger). And the network effect should be fairly plain; Wikipedia is the
place to be. (And I do not underestimate Google here.)

I do think alternative wiki projects that seek to fill "gaps" created by
Wikipedia's choice not to include some types of information stand the best
chance of success -- going head-to-head with this entrenched incumbent is
foolhardy, unless the Wikipedia community falls apart and the site falls
into total disrepair -- even then I think there is so much value here
already that it's far more likely Wikipedia would be resuscitated, than any
rival wiki encyclopedia taking the lead.