[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia committee member"

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 29 17:06:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2010 17:16, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does no-one want to discuss whether the ending of the Mousetrap play
>> This is not an invitation to revive the whole spoiler debate, but this
>> situation is slightly different in that those involved in putting the
>> play on and the descendants of the author are speaking out against
>> this.
>
> Mandy Rice-Davies applies.

Is it safe to look that up?

>> Could there be a BLP-like exception for spoilers, adding one if those
>> who wrote or produce the thing being spoiled request it? Obviously,
>> the ending or spoiler would still be discussed within the article, but
>> you could add a section saying "XYZ have requested that the ending not
>> be spoiled, so this notice serves as a spoiler notice that the article
>> reveals and discusses the ending" (modified as needed).
>> Seem courteous, but can Wikipedia be courteous?
>
> Speaking as an arbitrator, how would you square such a thing with NPOV?

Surely if the ending is still described in the article (as I was
careful to say), NPOV wouldn't be affected? All I'm saying is that if
there was a specific OTRS request that could be verified to be from
the relevant people, then it could be acted on. Requests from
Wikipedia editors and readers to add spoiler notices wouldn't count.
It would have to be a specific request from the "subject" of the
spoiler.

Carcharoth