[WikiEN-l] Superusers?

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 18:37:40 UTC 2010

I still don't think that they're required for that. The fact is that
most vandalism and attack page detection and fixing is done by non
admins, so it's just a question of giving users appropriate powers to
deal with those (and making sure that those powers can't be used
maliciously). Having them concentrated in the hands of admins is not a
logical necessity.

The problem with the idea of administrators is that they have too much
power (or are perceived as having too much power) and thus the RFA
process becomes unduly picky. If you spread the powers out over more
people then this issue is largely or completely avoided.

But I'm not saying that bureaucrats type roles aren't needed, there
are things that cannot be done by users, but things like decision
making in AFDs isn't one of them, nor is vandalism fighting.

On 20/08/2010, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Two advantages of our current system over juries are efficiency and
> speed. This is particularly useful re blocking of vandals and speedy
> deletion of attack pages - in both cases the first admin to pass by
> will do the appropriate block or deletion. If you want a slower less
> efficient system you don't just need to show that the much larger
> number of jury members would be available, you also need to identify a
> benefit for this proposal, and that benefit would need to be more than
> commensurate with the disbenefits that I've identified.
>

> WereSpielChequers
>

> On 20 August 2010 18:13, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We don't absolutely need admins at all.
>>
>> If we used randomly chosen juries to make decisions then we could use
>> bureaucrats or even bots to actually apply any decisions made.
>>
>> That essentially avoids the 'who polices the police' issue.
>>
>> --
>> -Ian Woollard

-Ian Woollard